Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 2: Staff Meeting and Afternoon Projects


Thought of the Day: "Do something every day that scares you."--Eleanor Roosevelt

We arrived on campus and immediately saw how much property there actually is for the kids. The building are gorgeous and when first built is must have really been a palace and an amazement for the community to see.  I love how many kids run up to Molly and Mili shouting their names and giving them big hugs. You can really see how they've impacted their lives. Some of the kids immediately hugged us, which is a good sign that they know the volunteers are there for them and they trust them because they are with Mili and Molly.  I got to observe the communication between the staff and Mili.  Global Volunteers seems to be an extremely important part of PPA.  

The afternoon session was good.  I thought it was funny how many kids pretended to be siblings in order to come with us. Getting to and from our project was difficult. Lots of tagalongs and all trying to rifle through our games that we were carrying. It gave us some ideas on how to better organize for tomorrow--right up my alley. And I cant wait to work with Emily and Fabian. The language was a barrier. It really makes me want to learn as much as possible so that I can communicate better with the kids. Or I'll have to come back next year after I learn some more at home! We picked Mili's brain about the culture at dinner. That is something that I have a feeling we will do a lot.  We're a curious bunch. The small group continues to be great--we all get along well, so I think we are lucky to be just three.  

0 comments: