Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"I can show you the world"


Thought of the day: “I can show you the world”- Aladdin
Because these children see the world through us so we must represent it well. –Olivia

What a day! I and my labor team moved lots of wood, rock and trash. Then we proceeded to help lay part of a cement drive. How does my body feel? Sore. How does my mind think? Sad that the PPA maintenance men don’t have more modern equipment. Kelly said that in the US it would take two workers one hour to do what it took six today to do in 5. How does my heart feel? OK. I made a difference. In the labor team’s case, the ‘making a difference’ is measured objectively—woodpile gone, concrete drive seven feet longer and all our names are carved in it! Others on different projects have experienced frustration that they don’t feel like they are making a “difference making” working with the kids is so subjective. It is difficult to see into their minds and hearts a smile, a hug a light bulb going off expression is all we got. I suppose our expectations are high. Also our frustration level is high with our inability to communicate. But tomorrow will be a new day. I really like new days. – Julia

0 comments: