Thursday, June 5, 2008


Journal-Anne Flaherty
Because of the field trip this morning, I found my routine disturbed. Rather than spending the morning pleading in broken Spanish with Ricardo and Franklin to do their school work, I cleaned windows and classrooms with some others. The afternoon was fairly typical-Eileen and I wiped toddlers' noses, mediated fights over toys, and fell even more in love with their smiles, laughs, and attempts at saying "Hola". After that, I, along with four other volunteers, taught English to the high schools girls. They are getting pretty good, if I do say so myself, and can nearly sing "Let it Be" just as well as the Beatles themselves.
However, this break in routine reminded me that my time at the P.P.A. is rapidly ending and while, as Laura put it, "moving dirt around" all morning, I found myself thinking about the past two weeks. To be honest, I think I will leave a little bit conflicted. On the one hand, the P.P.A. seems to be only a temporary shelter from the harsh realities these children face at home and in the world. On the other hand, the connections made between not only myself but the other volunteers and the children are undeniably important. So while it does not seem as if my work has dramatically affected the P.P.A., I think it is safe to say that my mere presence as a volunteer, and therefore as a source of renewed energy, love, and patience, has helped many children survive their immediate, daily struggles-such as a homework difficulties, runny noses, or trouble pronouncing a word. And I hope that kind of help is just as important.

Thought of the Day-Anne Flaherty
"Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test: Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him. Will he gain anything by it? Will it restore him to a control over his own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." - Ghandi

0 comments: