Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day One: Orientation and City Tour

Thought of the Day: "Every day do something that will bring you closer to a better tomorrow."--Doug Firebaugh

Today was surprisingly exhausting.  Orientations was a day of learning--about PPA, Global Volunteers, the team, and the projects.  Our team is small, which I feel will be a great advantage.  Not only was getting to and ordering dinner easy, but also we all seem to have similar goals and expectations for this trip.  Erin and Robi have a teacher's perspective and their skills for lesson planning will be a huge advantage.  Mili and Molly have already been a great help with the language--and they don't seem to get annoyed when I ask what a simple word means.  It was interesting to see how priorities emerged once we heard about the projects.  I thought for sure I'd be doing arts and crafts with the 3-5 year olds, or holding babies, but instead we all chose to do something that will most benefit PPA--working with ToƱito Silva, Franklin and Ricardo, Siblings, and English for girls.  I think its more important to be where Global and the PPA need us most that to use my arts and crafts skills with the kids.  And Sweet Dreams sounds like it will be a really meaningful experience.  The city tour was full of interesting architecture--some Tudor housing seemed oddly placed.  The wooden balconies were amazing craftsmanship--although wood from bottom to top is not the kind of balcony I can imagine sitting on to enjoy, I'd definitely prefer one with the glass windows!  There was an adorable little girl named Stephanie on our tour, and she and Robi become fast friends.  Robi's teacher skills shined through immediately, crouching down to get on her level and asking her questions that brought out funny little stories.  Erin also immediately asked her age.  I think I'll learn a lot about interacting with children from these two.  Stephanie's journal was great! Little drawings of things going on around.  Everyone I've met is so well traveled and enthusiastic about everywhere they've been.  I don't think meeting the goal of understanding the culture will be an issue, as it seems like we all appreciate other cultures and hold our experiences high.  The anticipation of meeting the staff and kids is on my mind.  It will be a good day!

0 comments: