Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 11th, 2010


Quote of the Day: Teamwork divides the effort and multiplies the effect.


The day started at 6am with Sara and I going for our daily walk. Bravo!!, first day we made it back without a wrong turn. After breakfast we head for CDLN. Somehow Juanita gets us there safely each day. Upon arriving we hold our morning meeting where the journal is read,telling us about the day before. We discuss how things are going in our homes. We then separate and go to our assigned houses. Sara and I go to San Buenoventura where Pedro assigns the task of dusting the artificial flowers. There were enough of them to last all morning. We take a break and then head for the dining hall. We help set the table, dish up the soup and pour the drinks.


Today I make sure the cabinet key is safely in my pocket so Doris doesn't worry that it has been lost, like yesterday. Each day we are assigned to sit at a different table at lunch so we are able to meet all the different boys. We usually are able to ask their names and a few other questions in Espanol. But oh, these old minds have difficulty remembering names, so it's repito, repito, repito. Then onto the kitchen duty of washing and drying dishes which was difficult today when the water stopped running. Christian and I had a finger water fight with water on the counter while we waited for water to start flowing again from the taps. Now back to the house where the boys start on their homework.After talking to a few boys and looking at the work they are doing, I go to Robert's table at his request. I thought I was to help cover more books which I learned the proper technique yesterday. But alas No! It is to draw a design in one of his notebooks. Whoa! I don't draw, but he insists. I copy the design from another notebook. Luckily it is on graph paper and is easy to count boxes. It keeps me busy for a while and he keeps ensuring me it is good. He then asks if I would do another and then if I would do all. I reply yes before I ask the question, cuantos? What a mistake, there are 6 more books to do, but I have tomorrow to finish them. He really conned me, the third book he gives me isn't graph paper, so now it is free hand drawing. Actually it does not look too bad and he is pleased. During this time the boys are trying out their English and asking questions. The dictionary is very helpful for both them and myself. We all use it and learn new words and phrases. We all seem to enjoy the interaction and I am eager to continue tomorrow.The day was quickly over and we head back to the hotel, dinner and much needed rest.


- June

0 comments: