Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 2 March 8, 2010


Quote of the day: I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. –Edward Everett Hale

The alarm sounds and I awake with a smile. Each morning I awake with a smile for God has granted me another day. However, my smile today is for not only another day, but a day to help others. How lucky I am.

The team meets for breakfast and I'm excited to see the smiles on each one of us. We depart for CDLN, all excited curious, and interested in the new experience that lies before us. With no concrete expectations this van of women (on international day of the woman) travels to meet “our boys” for the first time. We have a warm greeting from the staff, including Brother Hugo.

Then our journey around the campus begins. I'm fascinated by each home and as I glance at my teammates it´s clear that so are they. “We travel from the little shoes to the big shoes” as Barbara pointed out. As we each approach “our home” it's fun to see us each light up, we become kids at heart while taking in our new surroundings. We quickly learn first hand how special CDLN is to these children and community.

After our tour we receive a quick Spanish lesson. During this lesson I realize these are the words that will bring us together. These are the words the boys will use, the tutors will use and I will use in order to bond. With no Spanish background this begins to make me a little nervous. Then I must quickly push my nerves aside as I now see the boys traveling back from school and we each walk to our homes.

Lunch is first on the list and I'm asked to help set up. I watch the boys and see the enthusiasm they have with the simple task of preparing for lunch. All of the boys and my teammates begins to enter the cafeteria and complete the same task. Then the boys stand waiting for the prayer to begin. The loud roar of the boys fills the room as they share in the blessing, then time to eat. Today´s menu includes soup, rice, beans and lettuce. The words “finish your meal, set a good example” enter my mind as I´m eating the last few bites. Later on I learn the other teammates are thinking the same thing. No barrier is broken during lunch as all the boys are distracted with the food and the company of each other. Alice makes me feel welcomed.

Then dishes is when the barriers begin to be broken. Smiles, laughs and tricks like splashing in the water begin to bring us together. This continues as recess follows our lunchtime. As I observe the boys I cannot help but smile and laugh as they are. Then little by little the boys run over, give me a hug and quickly run off to continue their game of soccer. The warmth I feel from the sunshine doesn´t compare to the new warmth I feel of the heart.

I realize…
I cannot speak to them, but I can give them a smile.
I cannot understand their questions, but I can give them a hug, and
I cannot help them with their studies but I can laugh with them as they all joke with each other.

Our evening ends with wonderful food and conversation as well as a reflection of our day and our excitement for tomorrow. A tomorrow where I will continue to learn it´s not about what I cannot do, it´s about what I can.


- Jessica

0 comments: