Friday, July 4, 2008

Small but Mighty


First impressions.

Without consulting Mr. Webster I would describe them as the observations we make based on what we already know from our past experiences. I speak for all of my teammates what I say that we came to Lima and the PPA with our own personal experiences and histories that enabled us to make initial impressions of our time here with Global Volunteers. Fortunately the concept of a first impression implies that they don't last long. With time we gain more knowledge, perspective and ultimately, new understanding.

Lima: My first impressions of this bustling city were that it was a polluted urban setting with insane drivers that had no respect for pedestrians. I've lost count of the time Mili, Katie, or Robi had to put their hand out to stop me from crossing in the middle of oncoming traffic. And the pollution. I wondered if I might have to hold my breath for 2 weeks in order to filter out the octane infused air I was not accustomed to. I quickly learned through observation and Mili's vast knowledge that, quite simply, this is how they drive in Lima. If you didn't keep up with the insanity, you would surely cause an accident. In my 2 weeks there, I experienced many knee-grabbers, but not one single accident.

Another first impression I had that last for at least the first week is how gray and cold Lima seemed. Did the sun ever come out or was it always like this? As I am sitting here in the main hall of the PPA I am gazing out at the sun and blue sky. We knew Lima wouldn't let us down!

My Teammates: Initially I came into the Global program thinking that I would make many new friends. And with a team of 3 we were going to be surrounded by each other more than other groups normally are. We basically were set up to be great friends or worst enemies. Boy, did I luck out! As the days unfolded I realized that I had been grouped with 2 of the most energetic, kind and carefree people I have come across in my travels. It wasn't the quantity of people in the group byt rather the quality of the time we spent together. Team 59 may have been small, but we were mighty! Between the 3 of us we were able to do several jobs: Siblings group, Ricardo and Franklin, ToƱito Silva, Teaching English to 3rd graders and also to the High School girls. We also were very active in the movie department from setting up to popping the "canchita" to breaking it down. I feel so lucky to have been part of such an inspirational team. Of course we wouldn't have been able to stay together without our amazing team leader, MILI!

Finally, the PPA. My first tour around the campus left me feeling sad and sorry for the children there. I couldn't figure out with 460 children why the campus seemed so deserted.

Most of my first impressions of PPA were changed within the first few days. Observing the children go about their daily activities, some getting bussed off campus, some at school at PPA, I realized that just because I didn't see them didn't mean they weren't doing anything Dance classes, cooking classes, workshops, sewing; the PPA was constantly bustling with activity.

Most importantly though was how the PPA transformed from a sad place to a home of opportunity for so many. Seeing the interaction between the staff and children and observing teir vibrant smiles and feeling their joyful hugs reminded me that these children regardless of age were fortunate to be there. The PPA provided them with care, food, safety and most importantly, LOVE!

I feel so honored to have been a part of Team 59, serving at the PPA. I will take with me many wonderful memories of making the most out of what might seem like a little. Thank you Global for an amazing experience.

0 comments: