Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Common Emotional Journey


Thought of the Day: "By learning you will teach, by teaching you will understand." -- Latin Proverb

Writing last in team 59's journal is not as daunting as I had originally imagined. I've truly enjoyed listening to the thoughts and interpretations of my teammates not only because I appreciate a different perspective, but also I realize that we are going through a common emotional journey. According to Mili's computer, Team 59's project is 79% complete. Thinking back to orientation 10 days ago seems like its been weeks, however, I cant help but feel like we've just gotten started. Week one really was devoted to becoming aquainted with our new setting and understanding the goals and expectations of the program: on top of this there was the attempt to memorize the numerous faces that we have come to know on a daily basis. I cant help but feel a little famous when I hear my name chanted by a group of children even it its my new alias..Erica! Now that Robi and I have had a chance to plant our feet, we can now focus on building relationships. Ricardo and Franklin have become a lively part of my morning routine. We might now have extensive verbal communication on our side, but we have managed to build a relationship on trust and consistency. Each day I am fascinated by the amout of activities that we are able to accomplish in our short time together. Their energy can be contagious and their smile, along with Franklin's "thumbs-up" make my mornings so rewarding. And each day when I drop them off they hug me goodbye. Just like that, no words needed. The high school girls have been so much fun to work with. I chose my quote because it reminded me of them and how I feel like I may be learning more from them than they are fro me. Their innocence and desire to learn English is beautiful and reminds me that as a teach it is so important to learn who your students are befroe you can teach. Truly learning and understanding these girls in just 2 weeks time is impossible byt we can make a difference

Each day at PPA is a new challenge, story, and new-found understanding of something bigger. Team 59 may be 79% compelete, but I have a feeling that our time invested may continue to grow even after we have moved on.

0 comments: