Wednesday, July 2, 2008

An Endless Amount of Energy



Thought of the Day: "Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm."--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today I realized just how much energy is necessary to keep up with life at PPA. Although I was feeling sub-par I was able to make it though with the help of my fabulous teammate and group leader. Thank goodness Robi is back to 100%! Despite my energy deficiency, it was another action packed day at PPA. Ricardo and Franklin were unusually occupied with the playdough today. Tey prepared an extensive menu of helado, hamburguesas, and pizza. I felt sad when I thought of my last day with them approaching and wondered who would be there after me. This makes me feel compelled to leave copious nopes for the next volunteer in line. I have learned so much about them in such a short time: from Ricardo's signature hand-clap-above-the-head to Franklin's aversion to putting the letters in his name in order. I know I will remember them, but I wonder how long they will remember me since they are so used to seeing volunteers come and go. Siblings group was another challenge to attempt to tame Maria del Carmen and Alexandra. They dabbled in painting for a short while and then moved on to puzzles before they tried to stir up so trouble. They are wise beyond their few years and cannot be reasoned with like other children their age. Today was certainly easier to separate them at the end as Robi and I both noticed. I thin the important thing is that they're getting used to the structure of the siblings group and what we expect from them. It's not that they are bad children, they are just testing their limits with 2 new strangers. Working with Robi during this sibling time has been so helpful--not only does she have the ability to connect with young people regardless of age, she has an endless amount of energy. Whether she believes it or not, it's contagious and it certainly helped me through today. And just like the quote said, I was able to lean on my friend today in order to find the enthusiasm to finish the day. Heres to a happy and healthy final two days!!

0 comments: