Friday, May 30, 2008


Journal-Vidya Goberdhan
My final day at the P.P.A. began, as usual, in assisting with the labor project. We were cheerfully greeted by our "compadres" - Alfonso and Salvatierra - two locals who regularly work on P.P.A. construction projects. Though our lives differ vastly from theirs, I am honored to have worked with and learned from them.
In contrast to earlier this week, I began to notice the headway we were making, and that someday soon a beautiful park will stand where refuse and dirt now lie.
Six members of our team of sixteen will be leaving after today, and, though exhausted, we have been touched and inspired by this experience. I am saddened to leave the P.P.A. and realize just how attached I have grown to the children and people with whom I have taught, played, worked, and laughed. As I reflect on this experience, I am reminded of the great mentors and role-models in my life. It is important to continue in their steps of inspiring and helping others to help themselves, even after your lives may go separate ways. That, if any, will be a lasting impact that will be valued in years to come!

Thought of the Day-Vidya Goberdhan
[Poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson on success]
"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded."

0 comments: