Friday, May 2, 2008

The end of first week...



My last day of journaling. Veronica’s last day with us at PPA. I shall miss her sensitive exuberance. Now it’s just the reserved Arizonans remaining for next week. Betty is back with us and we were able to take our group photos wearing our Global Volunteer tee shirts in front of Hostal Torreblanca.

It’s a beautiful day ending a magnificient week at PPA. We attended to our morning assignments. Veronica and I were with Franklin and Ricardo. Their patience span is very limited and we have become realistic in our expectations. I have learned that the children respond to incentives or rewards for motivation to work. The beanie babies have worked in that behalf. I saw Felipe helping Edith place the 80+ chairs getting ready for this afternoon’s movie and popcorn fiesta.

Well… movie time, drinks, and popcorn was great for the 3, 4, and 5 year olds for the first 15 minutes. Then concentration began to break down. I think the kids loved the whole idea of the event. The photo op was great but as sister Anna Marie appeared, all cameras vanished, only to be clicking away again as soon as she left the building. I came to PPA to photograph the children and photograph I did.

As I close my part of the journal writing and end my first week, I’d like to reflect upon some thoughts: Many years ago I planned that Global Volunteers was going to be one of my choices for a new beginnings when my husband died. Eight months ago my husband passed away and shortly thereafter I contacted Global Volunteers. I was prepared to accept the unwelcome circumstance in my life. Therefore, my thought for the day is: “Be prepared to explore and implement new choices for new beginnings in your life.”

Thank you to Edith, Veronica, Betty, and Phil for sharing so much of your hearts with me and becoming my forever friends.

Quote for the day: The Art of the Possible by Alexander Stoddard

“Think about a river,
See how it flows and runs its course
Water must have freedom to flow
When it does not, it overflows and erodes the land
We need some freedom to flow, to let go and move on, to refresh ourselves, flow
with the ever-changing advent of life.
We will be carried through a wonderful adventure where unmanageable
occurrences become known to us, and we experience a part of ourselves
never before imagined.”
Juanita

0 comments: