Wednesday, November 21, 2007

November 20

Ron McDougall

On arriving on our first day and taking the orientation tour, frankly my first impression was one of just a huge, run-down, complex of buildings. I thought, -wow, what have I gotten in to? The next day we were given our assignments and sent off to the various buildings to help kids. I must admit that I was initially disappointed in the "teaching" assignment. After struggling and failing to gain the attention of the 4th grade boys, I was disillusioned.

My frustration level was high and my satisfaction level low. But as the next few days flowed by, and I began to open my mind and eyes, the fog began to clear. I began to see the selfishness of my angst, and conversely, the total lack of selfishness of the PPA staff.

The exterior of the PPA is badly in need of work and paint. The job is so immense that one doesn't know where to start. But as you begin to look around you see the staff of the school in constant motion. From the headmistress to the gardner, everyone has more than a full plate. Each individual is focused on his task. Whether it's Sra. Conception or Sr. Napoleon, all are centered on their service. Having had a week to observe these people I came to realize their dedication. Dedication is in itself a noble virtue, but when coupled with obvious sincere love for these kids, it becomes a CALLING.

As the day goes by and you see the staff interact with these urchins, you see connections firmly made but not in anger. And further, you see hugs and smiles, and other forms of affection given out liberally by every staff member, regardless of their role.

There are 500 kids here who have to be bathed, fed, - and led DAILY. PPA makes this happen every day of the year for these needy kids. I am in awe of the magnitude of this task and yet they make it happen so seamlessly.

Yes, the kids are rambunctious and a challenge to control, but rarely are they rude. I now recognize they are learning far more here than I could ever hope to teach them.

So although the school is seedy and in disrepair on the outside, inside beats a sincere, caring and loving heart for each and every child.

What have I learned?

I came to the PPA with the idea of teaching English to young kids. The first day was a blow between the eyes with a 2x4. These kids had no interest in learning anything I had to offer, which is a slap in the face for an ex-teacher. So I went home grumbling about the affront to my excellent skills.

But Edith's constant drumbeat of "flexibility" continued to resonate in my selfish brain. And again, the fog began to clear.

I began to see that it wasn't about me -- but about THEM. I was focused on myself and not on them. For someone who spent 30 years in the Army, an organization dependent on order and obeying, this has not been an easy task for me. I have come to recognize clearly, however, that a hug and a few jokes with them is far more of what they need -- not my English.

Thought for the day, Don Marshall

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiansms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be witih those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt - At the Sorbonne, Paris 1910

Pero que no camina, no encuentra hueso. The dog that doesn´t walk doesn´t find a bone or you can´t succeed if you don´t try.

0 comments: