Tuesday, November 20, 2007

November 19

Mickey Marshall

After an exhausting weekend in the jungle we got up and headed for work. We have rearranged some of the jobs, but our kinder group is the same. Joann, Tom, Deb, Don and I went to our classrooms to help. My classroom is 20 three year olds who are finally remembering my name. Jorge, who has a fierce frown even when he smiles, sang a derivation of the song they are learning for the school anniversary "Que bonito, que bonito es mi visita". I sat down to play with them as there never seems to be a curriculum. The children know colors, numbers to 5 and some shapes. They fight a lot but the tears pass quickly. We play with various things in the classroom: puzzles, blocks, legos and clay. At noon I get a break and go off to lunch with the team. We talk a lot and then walk back to school. I have learned the way back as I think most of us have and we got to the office and loaded up with things for the afternoon kinder to do. Joann and I have settled into a routine of drawing and coloring with the girls, who number between 4 and 25 on different days. Some of the girls play school with me and give me a dictation. They are very strict and give me a B- today.

At 5 we cot back to the hotel and 2 took a load of laundry down to the laundromat about 2.5 blocks from here. It won't be ready until 7pm tomorrow, and there was no talking them into an earlier time. We went to dinner at a great place that served sandwiches, salads and desserts. Strawberries are in season and several drank a fresh strawberry slush that was delicious. Edith said they grow strawberries in the south near the coast. Peru never ceases to amaze me with it's huge variety of foods both familiar and unfamiliar.

Thought for the Day, Mantas Zupka

Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened.

0 comments: