Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Ït isn´t what you have in your pocket that makes you thankful, but what you have in your heart¨


Today was anything but typical. We were joined by Rufina and Julio on a quest to locate Julio´s mother in Shantytown. Along the way we stopped at a public hospital to see about birth records for Julio and another boy. After many tries Julio was able to find his mother and they had a reunion of sorts for a few minutes. As we were driving back to PPA, we were pulled over by a police officer. Mr. officer thought we were a small public bus in the wrong lane. Amazingly, drivers in Lima do not signal their turns, and change lanes at will and honk incessantly, yet being in the wrong lane gets you pulled over. Fascinating.

When we arrived back at PPA, it really was lights, camera, action. Rose and Susan handed out candy while Pat, Marie, Edith and myself (Mandy) stuffed popcorn into the bags. After we got the popcorn to the auditorium, I went to San Rafaelfor a few minutes before heading back to the auditorium . We had so much popcorn and jello left over that Marie, Edith,Maryanne,Pat and I ran around PPA distributing it. After operation distribution was complete I literally ran back to the auditorium to help Rose and Susan cleanup. Rose was just finishing picking up the trash on the floor with her hands, What an amazing mom and what an awesome example for hard work. After this we headed back to the hotel where Maryanne and I got a ready for a much needed massage. I can honestly say I have had many massages in my life but none where I heard people oohing, ahhing, moaning,clapping and turning on the light. Like I said, this day was anything but typical.

0 comments: