Friday, September 10, 2010

Adding a Little Sunshine to their Lives...



Friday 10th September

Today is my last day at CDLN even though Karina will be staying on until next week. It`s gone extremely fast, and I find myself feeling like I need a bit more time. Nevertheless, the day starts with a frantic search for cookies for the party later in the day.

Once we arrive, Hermano Pedro started to help Karina and me with the painting supplies, but got sidetracked telling us about Arequipa (where he is from) and invited us to his pavilion to watch a DVD he`d recently bought on the area. He was so generous to offer us crackers and to tell us about the condors, bullfighting and his hometown. He seemed very proud of where he was from. We did eventually get around to painting (another ordeal moving benches outside, trying to find supplies...) and soon thereafter, it was then time for lunch.

The kids had pasta today instead of rice, and it was funny to watch them trying to negotiate away the mushrooms in the pasta and then to twirl the noodles around and throw them at each other. Even though that wouldn`t go over well in most kitchens, it makes me glad to know that they can still be silly and playful at CDLN. They also got oranges today and were trading and stealing each other`s oranges. The fruit was definitely a treat for them. Everyday, there has been one little boy, Elias, who doesn`t eat his food and, since the kids are required to eat everything that they are given, he gets in big trouble with Hermana Juanita when he doesn`t finish. Today as we were cleaning up, he was trying to hide it under the table and wanted me to help him. They`re all just so funny in how they manage their lives here. In many ways, it`s not much different than if they were at home.

Since it was Friday, the kids were able to watch a movie after lunch. They were all glued to Avatar (which I haven`t even seen yet) and were excited for Karina, Myrian and I to sit with them and watch. Later in the afternoon, we served them the cookies and handed out balloons, both which seemed to be a big hit. I tried to show them the trick of rubbing the balloon against your hair to make it stick to the wall, but it wasn`t working so well. Maybe there`s not enough static electricity in Lima:)

At the end of the party, they presented me with a thank you card that they had made. It was very sweet and the boys were all very gracious in making a line to thank me for various things during the week. I really was moved not just on Friday, but throughout the week, by how sweet and affectionate they were.

In a perfect world, they would have people there everyday just to play and give them attention. I hope that the short time I was here has added a least a little sunshine to their lives. I know that it has mine.

Written by Volunteer Jill

0 comments: