Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday, 17 May 2010

First day of the program. A bit nervous knowing that my Spanish is insufficient for effective communication with the local people, wondering if I would be more of a hinderance than help to them. But when on entering the precinct of Chorrillos I saw two huge statues of couple in love and was reminded of the common aspiration of people no matter the language we speak, the age, the color, and all the superficial differences - a life with some love and dignity, I felt more at ease knowing that those are things I could hope to give.

After touring the complex of CDLN - which is huge and very well maintained - I was assigned to the house of San Martin, under the care of Hermano José and Hermana Guillermina, a very down-to-earth and pleasant couple, a comforting beginning indeed.

There didn't seem much I could do for them in the morning (when the boys were at school) except for helping with their chores. Just when I felt a bit listless cleaning the windows, I remembered my own reasoning when my little angels asked me why I thought it so important and spent so much time trying to maintain a clean home for them: because I love them and want to give them the pleasantest I could possibly give... An act of love need not be anything lofty and flamboyant, it's the intention that counts.

Meeting the kids was a bit overwhelming at first, mainly because I couldn't understand 95% of what they said :( But their enthusiasm, curiosity, warmth and generosity soon put me in greater ease. It's a pleasant change to hang around with kids who are without a hint of cynicism - surprising given that many of them are supposed to have come from some difficult background. I have developed a genuine affection for these kids, and I look forward to create with them some loving memeories for each other.

0 comments: