Thursday, October 8, 2009

The potential to turn a life...


The days all start off the same...breakfast in the morning with a short team meeting and a drive to CDLN. Being here almost 3 weeks, I have come to know what is expected of me each day without asking...These last 2 days I had to finish painting the windows and then help Verlin out in the Zapataria. The mornings seems to fly by with this work, and before we know it...it´s 1pm and it´s time to start setting up for lunch.

Although now I am used to setting up for lunch exactly how the Hermanas and NiƱos like it...Grechen is still figuring things out...I think it must have taken me a week and a half to realize what was going on haha. One thing that is important for everyone to remember, however, is that no matter what mistakes are made...the boys and the hermanas will never hesitate to help out by fixing your mistakes, and by teaching you the proper way (their way). If there is one thing I´ve learned about Latin American culture these last few weeks is that they are very patient, honest and helpful people...
Anyway, lunch usually goes the same...some of the boys love eating, some of them hate it...but no matter what, each plate is left clean! Definitely gives you insight on how much we waste back home...Grenchin and I help with the dishes, washing and drying - I think the boys appreciate it, but it´s hard to tell.

After lunch it´s play time - these last 2 days Grenchin had the great idea of bringing the games Jenga and Etch-a-sketch - both which the boys absolulely loved! It´s great watching them play Jenga - they´ve got great skill and incredibly steady hands!

After playtime it´s on with the homework - it´s sort of become routine now that I help Brayan, Jose, Christian, Elvis and Maycol with their homework. I use help in the lossest sense of the term...because my Spanish is not near good enough to understand what´s going on half the time. I have a great time talking with the boys and learning from them...it´s hard to believe that I am already into my last few days at CDLN. I can´t count how many times they´ve asked me ¨Is tomorrow your last day?¨ It breaks my heart everytime I answer ¨Si¨ It´s going to be very hard to leave these boys...I think I´ve made a few good friends in them.

As sad as I am that I will be leaving in a few days, I´m exciting for everyone else because I know the types of relationships they´re going to end up forming after 2 weeks. I can remember when it was my first day on at CDLN; I didn´t know what to expect but I was quickly put to work. At first, I felt quite useless...to be honest...I felt like the hermanas were just looking for work to give me. But once I started looking at the bigger picture, I realized that even something ¨small¨ like painting the windows or doing laundry goes a long way in this organization. Sometimes because we´re only here for such short periods it´s hard for us to see that, I know it was for me.

Anyway, I think I will leave it there with my thought of the day...

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest accomplishment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around - Leo Buscaglia

0 comments: