Sunday, July 26, 2009

Let’s relax, cherish our time here, and be happy with what we have!


We have now completed four days at the Ciudad de los ninos. The volunteers are all busy with painting projects. Those of us painting in the bakery will be thought of by Mario when the bakery begins full operation in September or October. We can all be proud of the Family signs we are busy trying to finish by tomorrow evening. There are times when I have felt frustration with the projects as the projects would go so much faster if we had better tools, even power tools to work with. And then I relax and tell myself that it is ok, I have time and that the projects will get done. When I arrived, I thought, ÖK¨, let me make a huge impact and go, go, go! Now after a few days I am telling myself to relax, to visit with the boys, to work with the boys, and to slow down to enjoy myself with my task at hand. Seriously, if we had stayed home and just sent the money to the Ciudad de los ninos, the projects could be done by the professionals. Our main job is to be an ambassador for the United States and to leave the boys remembering our warmth and caring personalities. My husband once attended a class where he was asked, ¨Who made you what you are today?¨ Many answers spewed forward but the correct answer was, 95% of who you are and what you have accomplished is based on the situation where you grew up. I see these loving boys and know that the Ciudad de los ninos is a good place for them, helping them to reach their potential. I am happy to be here with them even if it is only for a short time.


By Kristy :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristie,

You are so right. It is what we do to change the daily lives of people around us that really matters. Focusing on the big picture can make us feel so ineffective. Focusing on people and little kindnesses will go much farther! Diane