Sunday, July 26, 2009

"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch”- Garrison Keillor




This morning at breakfast there was a great surprise,
The coffee, milk and jam were out before we even arrived.
Without any special requests, the staff could not glare.
We ate everything up without a plantain to spare

After the morning talk, we had all the information we could gather.
We piled into the van and so began the daily chatter.
Pulling into La Ciudad we saw all the tutors sitting in a row,
Waiting to hear their fate; will they stay or can they go?

I spent most of my day painting in the Panaderia,
While pan y orejas consumed my ideas
Mario doesn´t seem to want the painting to end
He always seems to have another job for me and my friends

Finally off to lunch, the food seems to be getting better every day,
Ever since los niños left anyways
No more cleaning up after 22 little ones for me,
I´m back to the bakery painting every door I can see

While Tom and Sloan scrape and stain benches,
For the rest of us, our fist around our brush clenches.
Our persistence is rewarded with bakery rolls;
It´s Mario´s way of encouraging us to come back and work more.

Tonight we went to dinner and a show.
All but one of us were in tow.
The Peruvian dancing and food were all so great,
Even Allison felt compelled to partake.

With more food than I had eaten all week,
By the end of the night I was ready to sleep.
By Kattie

0 comments: