Thursday, January 13, 2011

Reflections from a PPA Volunteer!



Written by Mary Ann Combs

I worked in the toddlers section in the mornings and in the siblings program in the afternoons. I surely enjoyed working with Carmen Montes in the toddlers section! She is a wonderful and caring person who gave the children much love along with needed discipline. We enjoyed getting to know each other despite the language barrier.

I spent my time with a very small (15 pound) 2 year old who had been at the PPA less than a month - and just seeing him make some emotional adjustments each day was very gratifying. He, Sebastian, was rather listless the first few days, so to finally see a few smiles and hear him utter a few sounds felt like great progress!! When you see the children, many of whom have no parents, it puts a perspective on the lives of abundance we have in the U.S.

When I consider how my work with Global Volunteers effects "waging peace through understanding between cultures," I must say: It is truly the only way to achieve a real and lasting piece.

Mary Ann

0 comments: