Thursday, April 9, 2009

Go hange a life today!




"Yesterday, John tasked us to be aware PIE (Person in Environment) in the morning; I worked out of the Hospitalito that morning as I will all week. There were only four children there yesterday, which gave me more time to work one on one. I have made a bond with my little friend, Omar. Omar is eight years old, he has not been feeling very well, with cold and fever symptoms. He was a bit playfull when I was there, but mostly wanted to just sit on the couch and snuggle. I am sure my mother used to do this for me whan I was 8 years old. The afternoon on Tuesday, Jacob and I (attempted) to teach 8-10 year old boys some conversational English. We showed them plastic shaped animals, and they would scream out the word in Spanish. Jacob and I would write the English word on the blackboard ( pizzara) and sound out the word. We eventually moved outside, and sat them in a circle (rueda), we had them hand a soccer ball to either their neighbor or pass or gently throw it to another boy and proceed with the next number one, two, three... in English, of which they knew how to count. As we were playing this game one of the more timid boys had his head lowered. One of the more rambunctious boys noticed this and threw the ball at him and purposely hit him on the top of his lowered head. Jacob and I made immediate eye contact, and as true social workers noted the social injustice in this act. As I moved to comfort this boy, we politely asked the boy who threw the ball to apologize. After some further prodding, he reluctantly did so. There was another sweet boy seated next to him on his left, who instantly reached over to comfort him with a hand around his shoulder, and a rubbing of the back of his neck. (a possible social worker in the making) This is not my day for "thought for the day" but I do have one...It is an understatement, that we as social workers have the capacity to with a smile, a gentle word or a nod of the head, a kind word, to alter, redirect and ultimately change a life. Go change a life today. "

Tony Loya

0 comments: