Friday, November 23, 2007

November 22, Thanksgiving Day

Eric Lilja

Tomorrow will mark the final day of Team 46´s adventure in service here at PPA. It´s been an incredibly exciting, albeit sometimes exhausting 2 weeks. As I reflect this Thanksgiving, I am thankful for each and every moment. While the comforts of home (or a 5-star hotel) and the friends and families we´ve missed await, it´s more difficult to leave here than I´d ever imagined it would be.

Today´s celebrations of the PPA school´s 25th anniversary underscored for me how special this children´s haven truly is...it´s a safe and caring place where love is given freely, talents are nurtured, and hope is offered for a brighter future. PPA is a home and a family in every sense of those words; and we were fortunate to have been so graciously welcomed.

We came here with hopes of giving to these children, but I believe they´ve actually given more to us: they gave us their openness, their strength, their love, their hugs & kisses, their smiles and their ENERGY!! And, we are all richer for this experience and their gifts to us.

The power of these kids is immeasureable. THINK of just how much they accomplish amidst adversity each day. IMAGINE what they could achieve given the best of circumstances....

I know we will carry with us memories of PPA for years to come. I, for one, will remember:

-- the little nino with the toothy smile (and bites he like to give my legs)

-- the screams of "a mi ma toca" while jumping rope with 3rd grade girls fighting to be recognized and praised

-- the "high-fives" from the chicos who joined in an afternoon pick-up game of volleyball

-- the spirited toddlers who shimmied the bathroom door - when they thought no one was looking - to go fishing in the you-know-what bowls

-- the bashful giggles of teenage girls who practiced the latest dance moves to their favorite singer, Belinda

-- today´s Thanksgiving dinner at Beer Chicken AKA Cerveza Pollo with a group of exceptionally well-mannered, thoughtful and truly thankful kids

-- and so many more...

What we received from these children will be forever and indelibly engraved in our minds. Will they remember us?? Have we made a difference?? I hope so; time will tell.

Gracias PPA!
Gracias Edith!!
Gracias fellow volunteers for making this an amazing journey!!!
Hasta Pronto

Two Thoughts for the Day (also from Eric Lilja):

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I´ve left behind
I step out of the ordinaryI can feel my soul ascendingI´m on my way.
Can´t stop me now.
And you can do the same.
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It´s never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud??
--Opening lyrics to the song "Proud" by the M People

Now is the time to live your ideal life --Cousineau

0 comments: